Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Lost in Translation

I recently picked up four of the first five Amon Duul II albums after learning they were great influences upon Dave Wyndorf of Monster Magnet.  The Magnet is my favorite ACTIVE band, meaning they are tops among groups still touring and producing bodies of work. Heck, Monster Magnet very nearly tops my list of INACTIVE bands too.  There are not many bands I like better than Monster Magnet readers of this site will soon learn. 

When I received these in the mail I did what I always used to do when I got a new album, I tore through the exterior packing and dove straight into the linear notes.  I wanted to see if I recognized any band members names, learn the song lyrics, read what the band had to say, but in this case I was disappointed to discover the bulk of the notes were in German.

Well, not to be thwarted, I steered my internet browser to Google translate, keyed in the German text and eagerly hit the translate button, rubbing my hands together like a mad scientist for the couple seconds it took to do its work.  And behold, the translated text:

""Come to Hauf in the catacombs of Canaan (3.56). Who has seen them in those violet hour through the keyhole, the priests on stilts, flown as an attraction for intergalactic monster show. "Thus spoke the CHILDREN MORDER" (6.00) illustrious inventor of the Trumpet Fair of Tibet, when he ascended the caravan Cart Geier of Golgotha , everyone is a composer, if he finds the intersection of two parallels in the infinite. "Unexpectedly entered Lucifer GHILOM (8.02) the magic circle around which the polka and Landler drehn, and the ears of those assembled bowed from the east. he came with electronic swing of the valley of Angels einbalsameinrten where in Wahrsagersom Gregorian vision spider HENRIETTE KROTENENSCHWANZ (1'59) complain Apgehoben of the runway with hyphnotischen knives in their hands:. PHALLUS DEI "(20'45).

* THE GOOD, CONSERVE, PROTECT""

Hmmmm.  Clearly, something's been lost in the translation, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment