Thursday, April 12, 2018

Record Butler saves your vinyl, gives you a helping hand

I recently found myself in a precarious situation for any vinyl enthusiast or audiophile, I was facing a period of time without the use of one of my arms, possibly on a permanent basis.  Now I spin records nearly 10-15 hours a day every day that I'm home, being disabled, that's most days.  Music and vinyl is my life.  After a trip to the Emergency Room to rule out stroke and life-threatening dangers, and another trip of my family physician and another to my neurologist, was all taken care of, the next thing I did was get online and visit my vinyl groups on Facebook and share my problem.

PERHAPS you can spin a 45 with one hand.  But my 45 collection is meager at best. Nineteen Iron Maiden singles from the 80s, a Prince Record Store Day picture disc 7," a U2 Batman Returns single, about a dozen stoner rock releases from Monster Magnet, Clutch, The Well, and Roadsaw, and a Flexi-Disc from a Bloom County comic collection.  That's about it.

Most of my collection is LPs.  Those typically require two hands, unless you're just going to man-handle your vinyl and get finger prints all over the disk and risk damaging the grooves.  I had no idea what I was going to do.  I tried to awkwardly spin a disc or two.  I nearly dropped them.  It was a near disaster.  I gave up hope.  But one poster, I have sadly lost his name to the annals of time, recommended something called a Record Butler.  He provided a link to the product on Amazon which I now share: Record Butler.

I was skeptical but willing to try ANYTHING that might allow me to spin my beloved records. 
About five days went by and I either spun 45s, or nothing at all.  The, the Record Butlers arrived, a two pack.  I took the orange one in my right hand.  Got out a record, I don;t recall what it was, but it certainly WAS NOT Iron Maiden.  I folded the Butler in half as instructed and slid a record neatly out its jacket, using my knees and one hand.  VIOLA!  It worked!  I was able to place the record onto the platter with one hand while not damaging the vinyl, as the fleece on the Record Butler provided a soft barrier of protection.  I was once again able to spin my records, even while temporarily incapacitated, able to use just one arm.

And, the fleece on the Butler allows you to clean the record too. For under ten dollars, this is one accessory I simply have been unable to do without.  I'll order another pair or two just to have around in the event that I wear out my first two, but so long as you do not get them dirty and store them properly, they seem to hold up pretty well so far.  I've been using the first one now for about three months and haven't had to soil my second one.

Get a pair or two and see what you think, especially if you find yourself in a one-arm pinch at some point.  Or gift a set to an audiophile you know who may be unaware of this product but in need of it particular ability to expand one's dynamic range.  Rating this product, we score it an Most Excellent 90/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment